We created this salad to complement the apple flavours in our 2022 Christmas Ham. With apple slices and the delicious Chantal Organics Apple Syrup (a new-to-us find that we're suddenly adding to everything) in the dressing, you can't go wrong with this crunchy, fresh and delightful salad.
- 300g spinach leaves
- 1.5 red apples, skin on (we used jazz - yum!)
- 140g walnuts
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Half a red onion
- 3 sticks celery
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp Chantal Organics Apple Syrup
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- Splash of boiling water
- Thinly slice the red onion and celery, and add to a bowl with the spinach leaves.
- Put the walnuts in a warm frying pan and toast lightly for a few minutes, before adding the honey. Continue cooking, shuffling the walnuts around often, until crunchy and sticky - don't leave too long or they will become candied or burnt!
- Mix together the mustard, apple syrup, apple cider vinegar, EVOO, water and S&P. It will emulsify to a nice thick dressing - don't be scared of all the flavour, it all works nicely together!
- Cut the apples in half, either side of the core, and slice into thin half rounds. Do this bit last so it doesn't brown.
- Add most of the apple, walnuts and dressing to the bowl with the spinach, red onion and celery, and mix together all it's all nicely coated and shiny.
- From here you can add the remaining apple slices, walnuts and dressing to the top of the salad, or shift the salad to a serving platter and top with the goods on that.
Simple and yum, it's a winner in our books!