Sometimes it's like we have a list of flavours all over the wall, throw a few darts and see what it hits. The flavours in this glaze might not be what you expect, and the glaze itself hits quite sweet, but once on the ham and baked, it just sort of balances out and works. The flavours all complement each other nicely, and there's no competition on your palate - you can taste each element in its own right but they all get along like they've known each other since primary school.
Miso, Apple & Ginger Glaze
Makes enough for a 4-5kg ham
- 3 Tbsp Shiro (white) miso paste
- A big thumb of fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1/2 cup Chantal Organics Apple Syrup
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple juice (or water)
- Mix all ingredients together in a saucepan over medium heat. Gently simmer until the brown sugar is dissolved, around 4-5 minutes.
- Brush about a third of the glaze over your prepared ham before it goes in the oven, and the repeat your glaze application at 20 min intervals until you have built up a good glossy coverage.
For specifics on how to glaze a ham, check out:
We designed (and cooked, and ate) a whole Christmas meal to go along with this glaze. You can check out the recipes here: